Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What to say to someone who has lost a loved one


What to say to someone who has lost a loved one

- from  the American Cancer Society

It is common to feel awkward when trying to comfort someone who is grieving. Many people do not know what to say or do. The following are suggestions to use as a guide.

Acknowledge the situation. Example: "I heard that your_____ died." Use the word "died" That will show that you are more open to talk about how the person really feels.

Express your concern. Example: "I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you."

Be genuine in your communication and don't hide your feelings. Example: "I’m not sure what to say, but I want you to know I care."

Offer your support. Example: "Tell me what I can do for you."

Ask how he or she feels, and don't assume you know how the bereaved person feels on any given day.

No comments:

Post a Comment