Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Bakugan: A True Story


The Bakugan: A True Story


I am not sure that Will even knew that his Bakugan toys and the game itself were actually based on a Japanese anime action series. He didn't care.  The toys were cool and he loved anything that, as he used to say, "morphed" into something else.  Like many he things, he began collecting Bakugan as soon as they became popular and almost impossible to find.   We had to turn to a friend in Texas to send us some that she had found there so that Will would have some for Christmas in 2009.

If you have never seen them in person, the toys start off as small spheres.


When placed on a special (magnetic) card, the sphere opens up, "morphing", into a Battle Brawler character. 


I found this Bakugan while cleaning the house several days ago.  At first it seemed strange that this toy was in a spot that had been cleaned many times since Will died.  But there it was, a tiny little black and purple sphere looking very much like I felt at that time.  The holidays make me feel coiled up and reclusive.  I am not myself at times, the feeling of pressure leading up to Christmas is often overwhelming for me.

I laughed and then cried when I first found the Bakugan. I remembered that this specific version of the toy was very special to Will.  Purple and black Bakugans must have been unique or this specific one was special because of the powers that came with it in the game that Will played with them.   For whatever reason, I remember he always kept this one as part of the elite group in his collection.

It was as if he was just in the room and had left it on the floor after playing with it.  I was determined to get it open and see the entire toy.  It seemed impossible to open without the special card.  At the time I had forgot that the card was magnetic.  After 30 minutes of attempting to open the Bakugan, I gave up and put it on my desk.  I let that little toy really get me worked up.

The next morning I walked into my office and was startled to see the Bakugan fully open and in Battle Brawler mode.  It felt like Will had been there and opened it up for me while I had been sleeping.  That was an amazing feeling.  The Bakugan had "morphed" into it's Battle Brawler character and looked like it was ready to take on anything that crossed its path. (I sure wish I knew the character/model of this specific Bakugan)

I "morphed" a little myself that morning.   I uncoiled a little from the pressure of the holidays and was able to smile instead of crying.  I embraced the feeling that Will had been there, letting me know that he was still looking after me.   I don't miss him any less but I have begun to accept that he won't be opening Christmas presents again.  This year was different, Will gave me two gifts. A little purple and black toy and the feeling I got from seeing it in it's "morphed" state, both of which I will cherish forever.

1 comment: