Monday, December 12, 2011

What should the first post say?


What should the first post say?

After over 18 months, I knew it was time to start sharing Will's story in a different context. The real question was: how do I get started? I am not a writer. What should the first post say?

If you have ever lost someone you love, you have probably felt the shadows.  The shadows are the grief that permeates your life after a loss.  If you let them, the shadows will fill every crevice of your life.  The shadows will block out all the sunshine and happiness, leaving you exhausted and unable to feel positive about anything.

On May 6th, 2010 my life became filled with the shadows.   That was the day that my son, Will, drown in a tragic accident.   Will was nine years old and as full of life as any child his age could possibly be.  Will loved life and treated each day as an adventure.   His love of life was contagious and people still talk about his smile.

This blog will tell the story of Will from his father's perspective.  It is meant to be positive and a resource for those looking for sunlight in their own lives.  There is no way to tell the story of a loss without becoming emotional at times.  The emotions conveyed in my posts may seem raw and unedited. Guess what? They are. They are real emotions. There is no instruction manual given to you when someone dies.   I have tried to use Will's life as my compass, when I have a tough decision to make I ask myself, "What would Will have expected me to do?".

Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted. (Matt 5:4)

Thank you for reading.


1 comment:

  1. I think this is a wonderful and precious thing to have honoring Will's memory. He was such an awesome kid that he so deserves this. He was cute, funny, goofy, talented and left an impression on everyone that he walked past but moreso anyone that had the blessing to have known him. I am one of those blessed people. Thanks Will for being such a cool angel!!!

    ReplyDelete